|During the holidays Americans throw away more material than any other time of the year. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the volume of U.S. household waste increases 25 percent between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day – approximately one million extra tons! Santa Rosa County’s environmental department encourages residents to reduce, reuse and recycle materials this holiday season with these helpful tips:
- Christmas tree off is available through Monday, January 16 for trees to be repurposed as mulch through Keep Santa Rosa Beautiful (mulch availability date to be announced). Place trees in the designated area identified by signage. Real trees only, no artificial trees accepted.
- Clean Community System/Green-Up Nursery – 6758 Park Ave., Milton
- Jay Transfer Station – Transfer Station Road, Jay
- Pace Volunteer Fire Department – 4773 Pace Patriot Blvd, Pace
- Navarre Beach Boat Ramp Parking Lot Recycle Area – Gulf Blvd., Navarre Beach
- Tiger Point Recreation Area – Gulf Breeze, east of Walmart
- Take advantage of free electronics recycling at the Central Landfill’s HHW center (laptops, tablets, flat screen monitors, TVs, cell phones, computers, etc.).
- Give gifts that require no packaging, such as the gift of time (cooking, babysitting or gardening), a charitable donation or tickets to an event.
- When shopping, bring reusable bags, tell clerks you don’t need a bag for small or oversized purchases, or combine purchases into one bag.
- Avoid using disposable dishes or utensils when entertaining or buy those made of recycled or compostable material. Set out recycling and compost containers so guests can recycle soda cans, bottles and paper products, and compost food scraps.
- Use creative wrapping materials such as maps, comics and posters and save ribbons, bows and bags for next year.
For more information, contact the Santa Rosa County Environmental Department at (850) 981-7135.